Friday, November 23, 2012

Giving Thanks

After a post-turkey blackout brought on by a multi-course feast for two, I have reflected on the many many good things in my life.

I am thankful for the basics: I have a job that I well like, and I have a home and food, and some friends and family. I feel secure and free. I have clothes enough, and hot water. I even have a car, and a good city.

These are more than things I have. These are opportunities that grow my life. Without the physical comforts I would not feel secure enough to write in my spare time, or to pursue other skills, or to nurture friendships. If I didn't have a shower I might not have many friends in the first place. If I didn't have a car I would have struggled to do any interviews, which expanded my point of view so radically.

I spoke with people who struggle with these basics. And while a cup of coffee is great in itself, the real joy comes from participating in the coffee shop. As Christmas comes up, I remember that participation in our culture (master-narrative) requires money. I am not struggling financially, and I am thankful to be able to enjoy a thanksgiving feast, or buy a book, or art, or some plants, or gifts for loved ones, or a cup of coffee. It all comes with a price tag.

So I give thanks for my ability to participate in our community. It is the struggle of my generation, and I'm doing pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment