Monday, October 15, 2012

What I Write, Not What I Do

Last week I explored the first half of a big tangent: whether or not popular imaginations of God, or even the word "God", had much usefulness going into the future. To be honest it was kinda over-intellectual, looking back. So let me get very personal for a quick moment.

I am really bad at loving.

this picture makes me sweat. literally; I am now sweaty.
Living a life that focuses on connecting with others and with the world is a project, a habit, a skill, and it takes practice. I am not very good at it.

It's like algebra II - I get it, but when the homework is assigned my brain won't talk to my pencil.

I have very, very few close friends, and even they might call me "distant". I appreciate a certain level of solitude, and I am not quick to approach people. And I've always been nervous around animals. I don't think these are unique problems.

But I am working on it. I try to reach out to friends more often. My wife and I are volunteering with other strangers. I am writing. And even my day-job requires constant connection with strangers. So practice makes perfect?


Well, yes. Just like algebra, we improve through a combination of learning and practice. Here is learning, in blogs like this, and practice is going out and making it a reality: creating sacred spaces, appreciating the universal context, and loving more thoroughly.



That is how a future is made.

The practice and habits of my generation will continue to become the future atmosphere. So I better keep practicing if I don't want to live in a world that is bad at algebra.

No comments:

Post a Comment